Attractions in Leon, Guanajuato
Leon is a destination with a series of contrasts that make it a unique option when visiting the state of Guanajuato. Known as the Perla del Bajio and the Shoe Capital of the World, it proudly earned recognition as one of the world’s most renewable cities (76% of the energy used here is renewable), in addition to boasting huge advances in the industrial field (the Leon-Bajio Industrial Park is under construction right now and it will be the biggest one in the area), which of course boost the city’s economy and make it an important destination for business travelers from all over the world.
Any shopping lover can see the enormous potential of Leon, Guanajuato for spending an unforgettable weekend. Here they can purchase footwear, purses and leather items of unbeatable quality at the local markets and other places like the Plaza del Zapato, the Galeria del Zapato and Plaza Piel; shopping malls like Plaza Mayor have shops with the most prestigious brands, while outlets like Mulza are the bargain hunters’ favorite spots.
You can visit Leon, Guanajuato always, as its cultural and artistic offer is generous all through the year, nevertheless, you just can’t miss events like the Feria Estatal de Leon, celebrated between January and February each year and which welcomes over 6 million visitors. The International Hot Balloon Festival deserves a special mention. It takes place at the Leon Metropolitan Eco Park and gathers over 500,000 attendees each month of November. There are more than 200 colorful hot balloons that arrive from countries like Germany, Belgium, Argentina, Canada and the U.S. to be a part of one of the most awaited events in Leon, Guanajuato.
What to Visit in Leon, Guanajuato:
Whether you’re here to do some shopping, on a cultural tour or for a family weekend escapade, Leon offers a wide array of places to visit that guarantee endless fun and entertainment.
– Metropolitan Cathedral: Located in the historic center of Leon, it has a façade made of stone and interiors with neoclassic and baroque decoration, with a range of architectural styles that distinguish it as one of Guanajuato’s most beautiful religious precincts.
– Expiatory Temple: Leon is home to the Expiatory Temple of the Sacred Heart, considered one of Mexico’s most beautiful temples because of its neogothic style that reminds us of the cathedrals from the medieval Europe. Open for the public to visit, it has a subterranean area with crypts that can be visited from 6:00 to 12:00 hours. The illumination of this temple, which projects murals of light, is known as one of the world’s most beautiful ones.
– Arco de la Calzada: The iconic triumphal arch possesses an emblematic 9.8 ft. long lion made out of bronze.
– Poliforum Leon: It’s Latin America’s largest convention center and the second in Mexico with the biggest number of events, right after the WTC in Mexico City.
– Plaza Mayor: One of Mexico’s largest and most complete malls, the Plaza Mayor Shopping Mall has important department stores and shops like Liverpool, Sanborns and Cinemex, in addition to banks and car agencies like Seat, VW and BMW.
– Metropolitan Park: Perfect for an outdoor day, exploring its 7 km tracks. The Leon Metropolitan Park has restaurants, sanitary services and a lot more for a great family day. It’s the chosen venue for the International Hot Balloon Festival each November.
– Explora Park: It’s a museum and interactive center, considered one of the best in Mexico and Latin America. It includes themed halls, an IMAX theater, workshops, a hall for temporary expositions, cafeteria, store and more in an area of 10,200 m².
– Leon Zoo (Zooleon): Since its inauguration in 1979, the Zooleon promotes the conservation and respect toward animals. It’s home to 240 different species and over 2000 animals.